What is Maths on the Move?
You know the saying ‘It does what it says on the tin’? Well, that’s Maths on the Move. It’s doing maths whilst on the move. Of course, there’s a whole lot more to say about this innovative programme designed by teachers for teachers, but the concept is that simple.
First, some hard hitting facts:
· 33% of 4 to 11 year olds in the UK are overweight or obese
· Children aged 5 -16 spend on average 6 hours per day in front of screens
· On average, 70% of children’s classroom time is spent sitting.
Think of a classroom. What do you picture? Teacher standing at the front and pupils sat behind desks? As shown by the statistics, that is indeed the picture 70% of the time.
But why is it? Perhaps more importantly, why does it have to be? Turns out, it doesn’t.
We know because we’ve seen the alternative first-hand, and the impact it can have.
Active learning is this alternative and is the basis of Maths on the Move.
Some questions you may have...
What is the point of MOTM?
To use physical activity to enhance confidence, learning and attainment in maths.
What does MOTM cover?
All learning outcomes of the maths curriculum for KS1 & KS2.
How can your school use MOTM?
· SATS booster
· Group interventions
· Gifted and talented sessions
· Curriculum enrichment
· School holiday activities
Can you tell me the structure of a MOTM session?
1. Select your bespoke booklets to meet the needs and current learning of the pupils during the 12 week programme.
2. Each session covers a different topic and at the start of each session pupils complete 5 questions.
3. Next, pupils implement the methodology into physical activities, applying the learning to real life situations with the support of the educator.
4. To finish, pupils complete a further 5 questions.
5. See the pupils’ improvements!
What about all the pupils’ different needs?
No pupil is the same, we get that, which is why you can tailor MOTM to suit pupils’ individual requirements!
Use the programme as an intervention to support lower achieving children or extend the learning of those who are gifted and talented. The results show that, whatever the pupil’s pre programme confidence level, it is boosted upon completion of MOTM.
How can your school budget for MOTM?
Funding is accessible through several streams:
· PE and School Sport Premium–addresses key indicators and raises the profile of PE and sports across the school, as a tool for whole-school improvement.
· Pupil Premium–raise the confidence and attainment of pupils and ‘close the gap’
· Maths budget–introduce innovative methods and help pupils achieve national standards in maths
What support will we get delivering MOTM?
Tracking pupil progress is paramount. We will provide experienced educators and learning materials, in addition to sharing the impact of MOTM via an online platform and regular reports (just the ticket for justifying your premium spends when Ofsted come knocking).
Interested? How could you not be?
Contact Louis on firstname.lastname@example.org more information.
Please have a look at our short video all about Maths on the Move… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rvRIVluqI&feature=youtu.be